There is, however, one item that makes a guest appearance every so often that literally makes me do a jig when I see it: the huge tower of shrimp cocktail. The most delicious oxymoron there ever was, the jumbo shrimp pyramid. I've been known to devour 3 dozen shrimp before cocktail hour is over. Call me George Costanza, I don't care. My dad and I stand with our backs to the shrimp table as if we've yet to see it, and one of us will casually say "Did you know they had a jumbo shrimp cocktail tower?". The other will subtly act surprised when he turns to see it. It's a beautiful dance we do once our appetizer plates are empty.
Other notables on the "Dream Team" of wedding reception food I'm compiling in my head are:
- a table w/ various cheeses and meats (sausages, prosciutto, etc)
- some sort of mini crab cake (one that doesn't try to be a Maryland crab cake, perhaps one that has some sort of asian inspired dipping sauce)
- perhaps some sort of salmon (or bacon) wrapped around a piece of asparagus
- a nicely cooked, and cut, steak (I'm fine with roasts, but an actual steak is on the dream team)
- desserts other than cake
- a signature drink (I like the thought of having one more than the drink most of the time!)