Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dress Code

Can someone please explain to me what all the different dress codes mean? I mean I know that black tie means dress fancy, but what falls under the category of black tie? Tux? A dark suit with a white shirt and a black tie? If it says "Black tie optional" what are my options?! I know I can probably find this online somewhere if I google it, but that wouldn't be fun for the rest of us and I would be depriving people all over who are as clueless as I am!

Black tie, black tie optional, semi-formal, cocktail attire, formal, semi-casual, business attire.... the list goes on and on... Someone please come to the rescue and solve the riddle!

4 comments:

  1. I've found that this article really helps to clarify what they mean by all those dress codes.

    http://blissfullydomestic.com/2008/what-is-black-tie

    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black tie generally means Tuxedos and gowns. It is however fairly loose in itself: see the Oscars, a black tie event. Black tie optional, suggests that a tuxedo is worn, but isn't necessary, though wearing a good suit or dress is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black tie is formal - tuxes and formal gowns. Black tie optional, means the couple would like everyone to dress up as much as possible, so tuxes and gowns are good, but a nice suit and cocktail dress would work too. White tie means VERY formal. Gloves, tuxes, jewels, etc. Cocktail attire means a cocktail dress and a nice suit, it's a step down from black tie, business attire is what you would wear at an office, nice suit, nice pair of slack or skirt and pretty blouse for women. Semi-casual is right under business attire. Jeans with a nice shirt or blouse more accepted at this level. Personally, I had a black tie optional wedding. I wanted to encourage people to dress as formal as possible, since we were having a formal wedding, but I didn't want to break anyones bank either. This way it gave them more options but got the message across that it was formal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your site through Offbeat Groom. It's a great read. Thanks!

    As for your question, Art of Manliness also has a guide to dress codes similar to the Blissfully Domestic one but with pictures. It's here:

    http://artofmanliness.com/2009/2/26/hot-to-dress-for-wedding-date-ceremony

    ReplyDelete